For the love of a healthy meal....

Sep 5, 2010

Nellikai uruga (Gooseberry pickle)

I love this recipe! Not only does it taste very good but this is the only way I can ever eat gooseberry. My husband never had a problem eating it raw.  He has been doing it from his childhood and I guess that's the reason. I read about the high vitamin content in gooseberry everywhere and end up feeling guilty because I can never get past the first bite of raw gooseberry. My teeth tingles with every bite.



Anyway, here is the wonderful recipe -

Ingredients :

Gooseberry : 5
chilli powder : 1tbsp
salt : 1tbsp
lemon : 1
fenugreek seeds : 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Oil : 1 tsp
mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp

Method :

1. Remove the seeds of the gooseberry. Cut the flesh into small pieces.
2. Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt and lemon juice.
3. Pop the mustard seeds in oil. Cool it completely.
4. Dry roast the fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Powder them finely.
5. Add the oil and the powder. Stir well.

That's it. As simple as that and it taste amazing.

No comments: